Do's And Do Not's of Storm Emergencies
Heavy thunderstorms are known to cause flooding both inside and outside of the house. Here are a few tips of what to do if your house has flooded during this storm season.
What To Do After Flooding
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Turn on the air conditioning for maximum drying during the summer months.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place and remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Gather loose items from the floor.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove the water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet and avoid being in rooms where the ceilings are sagging.
- Do not use the your television or other household appliances.
Content by: SERVPRO Corporate