Leading cause of houses fires! Electrical Heaters!
Electrical heating-related fires most often occur in December, January, and February. Purchasing a cozy electrical space heater is a cost-efficient solution when temperatures drop, however, can be a devastating disaster when used improperly. According to the NFPA (National Fire and Protection Agency), electrical space heaters are the leading cause of most house fires. Here are a few tips on how to properly use your electric space heater and avoid fire hazards:
- Electrical Fires: Electrical fires occur when the heating unit is not properly plugged into the wall outlet, most often plugged into an extension cord or power strip. To avoid fires:
- Give your space heater space; at least 3 feet away from combustible materials
- Do not plug other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Plug the heater directly into the outlet
- Avoid leaving the unit running overnight
- Fire Starters: Electrical units placed too close to other combustible materials contribute to 79% of fatal home heating fires. Combustible materials include:
- Household furniture
- Bed Mattress
- Bedding materials
Before running your electrical heater, it’s important to understand the risks of fire and smoke damage. Fire damage can leave a lasting impact on your house and may cause additional smoke damage
Call SERVPRO at 610-546-2484 to schedule a cleanup. Your SERVPRO of Eastern Main Line / Bala Cynwyd professionals have the training, certifications, and equipment to Make it
"Like it never even happened."